The Total Defence Sandbox is calling ideas from now until 30 Nov 2022, 2359HRS!I . Shortlisted participants may be invited to give a short presentation to the Expert Panel in Dec to Jan 2023!
What is the Total Defence Sandbox?
The Total Defence Sandbox seeks ground-up innovation from Singaporeans especially youths to start initiatives that puts Total Defence into action. The Total Defence Sandbox invites everyone to share ideas on Total Defence, and aims to nurture these ideas and eventually match ideas with partners who could support the implementation or amplification of their efforts.
What ideas can I submit?
We are looking for ideas that put Total Defence into action and targets the issue statement below.
Note : The idea need not solely target the issue stated and we are open to all ideas that will put Total Defence in action. If you have additional ideas, please do submit them.
An example as follows:
Issue: Hybrid Threats and Emerging Challenges in Singapore
The nature of threats is constantly evolving. Other than traditional security threats (e.g. territorial tensions, terrorism and piracy), there are emerging ones where Singapore’s vulnerabilities could be easily exploited without the need for military conflict (e.g. cyberattacks, misinformation and fake news – social media and digital platforms being major channels of influence where there are no boundaries).
Start an initiative which could help educate youths and the community on the evolving threats and navigate the complex environment that Singapore operates in. This could be done through the creation of content / an initiative / a campaign / a product that supports Total Defence. Should you have other ideas that does not solely target the issue stated, please do submit them as we are open to all ideas that will put Total Defence in action. Some possible examples include:
- Strengthening Economic Defence through Resource Sustainability (e.g. Food, Water and Energy)
- Climate Change and its effect on Singapore
How to submit ideas?
Register and submit your ideas via www.go.gov.sg/tdsandbox or by scanning the QR code below. You may register as an individual or in a team. For teams comprising two or more members, only the team leader needs to register and submit the idea.
- Register and submit your idea via www.go.gov.sg/tdsandbox. Only ideas submitted via this link will be accepted.
- Please fill in all mandatory fields for the online form.
- Your submission should cover the following:
- Proposed initiative / idea
- How the idea targets the issue
- How Total Defence will be put into action
- The support required from Organisers / Partners
- Storyboard outline
- Expected outcomes & measurements
- Your submission should come in the form of a Word document, PowerPoint presentation or PDF file. The attachment file size limit is up to 20MB.
- Word Document (10 Pages)
- PowerPoint Presentation (10 Pages)
- PDF File (10 Pages)
What to expect after submission of ideas?
After submissions have closed, shortlisted participants may be invited to give a short presentation to the Expert Panel in Dec - Jan 2023. We will inform participants in advance to prepare for the presentation.
Here is a timeline for your reference:
Phase 1 (1 Aug – 30 Nov 2022) will consist of the evaluation and shortlisting of ideas by an Expert Panel. Shortlisted participants will then present and pitch their ideas to the Panel and respective partners.
Ideas shortlisted for Phase 2 (30 Nov 2022 – Jan 2023) would be nurtured and developed for implementation by the participants into actual campaigns / products. The type of support from partners and organisers will be determined after the pitching sessions.
Ideas submitted will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Is there an age limit for participants?
No, there is no age limit. All ideas and suggestions are welcome.
2. Who is eligible to take part? The Total Defence Sandbox is open to all Singaporeans and Permanent Residents. Foreigners are not eligible to take part.
3. Is there a maximum team size to participate? There is no maximum limit on team size. Submissions are open to individuals and teams with two or more persons. The submission for a team should be made by the team leader.
4. I have previously submitted my idea to other challenges / competition. Can I still submit my idea to the Total Defence Sandbox?
Yes, you can.
5. Can I submit more than 1 idea to the Total Defence Sandbox?
Yes, you can. Multiple entries are permitted but each idea should be submitted separately.
6. Who can I contact if I have questions or require help with my submission? Please email Alexandria_Wong_Hui_Shi@mindef.gov.sg OR Kelly_Ng_Ming_Li@mindef.gov.sg
7. If I have other ideas related to Total Defence that do no target the issue stated, can I still submit a proposal?
Yes, you can.
About the Organiser
The Total Defence Sandbox is organised by Nexus, MINDEF. Nexus is the branch that oversees both National Education and Total Defence and seeks to deepen Singaporeans’ commitment to Singapore through fostering a strong sense of identity and a deeper understanding of our shared challenges and hopes. This is done by providing opportunities to Singaporeans to think about who we are as Singaporeans and the expression of thoughts through creative means such as filmmaking, animation and gaming.